Dinner has been a pleasure and a delight the past month. I am staying with my sister for the summer, and we adore cooking together. Every week we sit down and plan out our grocery list, because we simply must have a wonderful dinner every single night.
Except the nights we are exhausted and behind schedule and feed the children cereal and toast. But hey – the nights we actually cook? Those nights are amazing.
And the kids like cereal.
We had this chicken the other night, and I would recommend it! You’ll notice we plastered it in bacon grease. Have I mentioned the kids love BLT’s? And we’ve had them for lunch 4 times in the past week? We had an abundance of hickory smoked and maple smoked bacon grease that just needed to be used. Can’t let that stuff go down the drains you know – it clogs them….
Any excuse to keep something that delicious, right?
Our chicken dinner turned out beautifully, with a nicely crisped chicken that tasted as heavenly as the house smelled by the time we took it out of the oven!
- 1 whole chicken, thawed or frozen
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup bacon grease, cooled
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place chicken breast up on the roasting rack in the pan. Slather in bacon grease (for a thawed chicken, spread some in between the skin and the meat). Mix spices together and sprinkle on chicken. Cover with heavy aluminum foil.
- Cook thawed bird for 1 hour, then remove cover. Cook frozen bird for 1 1/2 hour, then remove cover. Cook for 1/2 hour, or until skin is golden and crispy, and a fork poked in to a joint releases clear liquid.
- Pull out of oven and let sit 10-15 minutes before carving.