When my husband was away at training he kept telling me about one particular dinner they would serve, which was bell peppers stuffed with beef and quinoa. It was one of his favourites, which is saying something because he’s not the biggest fan of quinoa. He’s been asking me to make some for him, so I thought I’d finally try my hand.
Now, I misjudged on portions when I was making this batch, and I decided to go with a cup of uncooked quinoa, forgetting completely that quinoa triples in volume when cooked. So…if you want a lot of quinoa in your stuffing, or you want to make a large batch in general, one cup is good. I’m reducing the amount in the recipe to half a cup to be in better proportions with the rest of the recipe. So, if you follow the recipe here exactly, your peppers will turn out a little different than my pictures — don’t panic, you did it right. ^_~
I was really pleased how these turned out. We topped it off with some homemade salsa from my sister’s monster garden and it was the perfect combination. The ones Truman had at training had Italian spices, and I decided to go with a southwestern seasoning that I make in a large batch — the recipe for which will be posted later this week. If you have taco seasonings or other southern spices on hand you can get creative and give this dish you’re own twist. It’s easy, versatile and a delicious weeknight meal option.
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep: 20 min Cook: 20 min Preheat: 375F
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Southwestern seasoning, 1 Tbsp or to taste
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 4 red bell peppers, halved with seeds and ribs removed
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 15 min. After 15 min, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Cover and set aside.
- Scramble fry ground beef, onion, garlic and seasoning until cooked through. Add black beans and quinoa and combine.
- Stuff peppers with beef mixture and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 min.
- Serve immediately with salsa, fresh cilantro, sour cream or whatever suits your fancy! Enjoy!