Sometimes that long stretch between breakfast and lunch can feel like an eternity. For me, its usually around the 10 am mark when my energy starts to lag, and I know I still have a great big list of chores to tackle before I can think about lunch and I need a pick-me-up.
These nifty little date bars are the perfect solution! They’re delicious and, as an added bonus, there is no additional sugar and there are only 5 ingredients! Not to mention their chocolatey flavour satisfies those pesky chocolate hankerings.
If you prefer, you could also form this mixture into balls and roll in more cocoa powder to make a kind of truffle.
I like to add in a packet of Sunrider’s Cocoa Vitashake for some extra protein and nutrients, as well.
Decadent Cocoa Date Bars
Makes: 22 bars Prep: 10 min Chill: 2 hours
- 2 cups raw almonds or cashews
- 2 cups dates
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 packet Cocoa Vitashake *optional*
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In a food processer, combine nuts, dates, cocoa powder, Vitashake*,salt and vanilla. Pulse gently until contents are well combined and beginning to stick. Be careful to not over process, as the natural oils in the nuts will release as you pulse them and can make the mixture too greasy. Cashews are softer than almonds and will break down more quickly. To test the consistency, take a small amount in your fingers and squeeze, it should stick together.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread mixture on cookie sheet and pack down with a spatula. *Or form into balls and roll in cocoa powder.
- Chill for 2 hours to set.
And that’s it! Easy peasy. If you have any favourite energy bar recipes, feel free to share them in the comments below. We’re always looking for more ideas!
For more information about Sunrider and it’s products, visit https://ibo.sunrider.com/site/renaewhitehead.