I have made no secret of the fact that I love food, but the constant struggle of trying to lose weight is making sure that I’m eating the right food.
And that’s never harder than that time between meals when you’re tired, and peckish and just want something fast. A bag of chips is quick, easy and, let’s face it, tasty. That’s really all they have going for them, though.
I know how hard it can be to stay on track with eating habits. I fall of the wagon just as much as the next person, but every time I choose a healthy snack over something unhealthy, I count it as a victory.
As a side note, any fresh fruit and vegetables are always an excellent choice for a mid-day or evening snack. These options are just some ideas to make your snacking a little more interesting, while still working towards those fitness goals!
So if you need a little victory to get you through the afternoon, try some of these healthy snacks!
- Apple slices with peanut butter or cheese slices. I have a lot of sentimental childhood memories of my mum slicing up an apple with some delicious gouda slices. It’s a fast snack, and if you’re avoiding dairy you can swap out the cheese for a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and its still a tasty treat.
- Cucumber, raw almonds and apple cider vinegar. This is another childhood favourite for me. Sliced cucumbers and a handful of almonds, sprinkled with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and some vegetable salt like Herbamare or sea salt. That’s it. It’s zippy and delicious and (bonus!) has a very low calorie count. A pinch of dill never goes amiss here either.
- Hummus and veggies. Is there really anything better than a big plate of carrot sticks and hummus? Hummus is high in fiber, protein and calcium, and it’s also delicious. It makes a nice substitute from bottled, creamy dressings which can have a lot of added sugars and preservatives.
- Ants on a Log. …or, you know, celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins. Another childhood flashback. Why so many kid snacks? Because when we were kids we had mothers that cared about our health and therefore made sure we got our daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Now that responsibility is on us now, and even though these snacks were things we had as children, it doesn’t make them any less health conscious. So, go ahead, be a kid again for a couple minutes.
- Fortune Delight and a piece of fruit. Fortune Delight is a natural herbal beverage from Sunrider which is designed to cleanse the body with natural antioxidants, and provide balance to the body to support energy without a sugar or caffeine crash. It’s a fantastic substitute to sugary sodas and highly caffeinated sports drinks because it’s only ten calories and made with whole food ingredients that assist with weight loss and nutrition. Pairing Fortune Delight with your afternoon snack will give you the boost you need to get through the rest of the afternoon.
…and now I’ve made myself hungry.
The next time you feel like you’re going to reach for those salty, unhealthy snacks try one of these ideas instead. You’ll satisfy your hunger and your healthy eating goals will go untarnished!
For more information about Fortune Delight, Sunrider and it’s other amazing products, visit https://ibo.sunrider.com/site/renaewhitehead/home